Massachusetts AHGP Information
Plymouth County

Plymouth, County, Massachusetts. Situated in the south part of the state, and contains about 600 square miles, It is bounded north and east by Massachusetts Bay. The soil generally is moderately productive, but there is considerable fertile land. Watered by North River and branches of Taunton River. Iron ore abounds, and is extensively wrought. Capitol, Plymouth. There were in 1840, neat cattle 663, sheep 12,293, swine 9,779; wheat 10,7651 bushels produced, rye 25,505, Indian corn 125,999, barley 5,831, oats 39,100, potatoes 392,802; 9 commercial houses in foreign trade, capitol $235,500; 230 stores, capiol $403,650; 7 lumber yards, capitol $18,000. Capitol invested in fisheries, $775,950; produced, 14,940 bushels; 11 furnaces, 16 forges; value of hardware, cutlery, &e., manufactured, $1,079,603; 1 fulling mill, 4 woolen factory, 14 cotton factory. 47,994 sp., 14 tanneries, 7 rope factory, 1 pottery, 60 grist mills, 103 saw mills. 1 oil mill, 2 paper factory, 4 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Capitol in manufacturing. $1,657,265. 12 academies. 699 students, 253 schools. 11,541 scholars. Population 47,373.

Plymouth, Postal Town, seaport and capital of Plymouth County, Massachusetts, 33 south east, Boston, 447 W. The soil near the coast is generally good; the rest is barren, and still remains a forest, mostly pine, with some oak. The town is of great extent, and contains a large number of ponds. The village is pleasantly situated and well built, chiefly of wood. It contains a court house, jail, 6 churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist, 2 banks, an insurance company, and Pilgrim Hall. The harbor is spacious, but shallow, and about 45 vessels are employed in the cod and mackerel fisheries, and others are employed in the West India and European trade. This is the oldest town in New England, and was settled on December 22d, 1620, by 101 emigrants, who fled from religious persecution in England, first to Holland, and then to New England. The rock on which they landed was conveyed in 1774 to the centre of the town. The anniversary of the landing is celebrated annually; and for the accommodation of the Pilgrim Society, Pilgrim Hall, a neat building, has been erected. There are in the town 46 stores, capitol $76,000; 5 commercial houses, capitol $133,000; 4 cotton factory 40,004 sp., 1 tannery, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 4 grist mills, 1 saw mill. Cap. in manufacturing $265,400. 2 academies 123 students, 41 schools 1,378 scholars. Population 5,281.

Read More about Massachusetts  other States, Counties and Towns

Back

© 2011 - 2017 Massachusetts American History and Genealogy Project
Created June 2, 2014 by Judy White